What is Readium LCP ?
Readium LCP (for Licensed Content Protection) is a new passphrase-based rights management solution, with support for different business models, including library lending . This is a simple but reliable solution for distributing protected content, based on rock solid encryption algorithms (AES-256) and classical PKI techniques.
The solution is minimally intrusive for the end-user, who doesn’t need to create a third party account and may even share his ebooks with his family or close friends. Rights-owners can still efficiently protect their content against over-sharing.
Readium LCP has been launched at the EPUB Summit 2017. It’s now time for every publishing solution to adopt LCP.
Why should I adopt Readium LCP?
- Because it is a vendor-neutral solution: the publishing industry is directly leading the operation of this DRM via EDRLab.
- Because it is interoperable by design; any publishing company can become an LCP license provider, any technical organisation can develop an LCP compliant reading app.
- Because there is no cost per transaction: the only cost for license providers is a cost of certification of their solution.
- Because it is really cost effective: EDRLab is a non-profit organisation and has adopted a simple cost recovery model for Readium LCP.
- Because it is lending library friendly: Readium LCP allows for loan extension and advanced return of a loaned ebook.
- Because it doesn’t leak personal data: the encryption tool and the license server are deployed by the license provider; no third party will gain access to user data, usage statistics or unencrypted ebook content. This decentralized architecture also brings more robustness to the overall solution.
- Because it is easy to integrate in a reading app, thanks to the open-source software developed by EDRLab, a library that is seamlessly added to the Readium SDK.
- Because it is easy to integrate in publishing solution, thanks to the open-source multi-platform DRM server developed by EDRLab.
Get more information on Readium LCP by selecting items in the right menu.
For more information on the competitive cost model of the solution and how to be part of the Readium LCP ecosystem, please contact us now.
If you are a developer, you can also …
Articles on Readium LCP
Readium LCP set to launch, Bill Rosenblatt, 11 March 2017 (read)
Lettres Numériques, 17 mars 2017, « La Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles fait figure de pionnière pour l’adoption de Readium LCP en bibliothèque » (read)
Actualitté, 9 mars 2017, “Prêt numérique : TEA distribuera les ebooks de Hachette avec DRM LCP” (read)
フランスの図書館向け電子書籍配信プラットフォーム会社Dilicom、「Readium LCP」対応の配信プラットフォームを稼働予定 (read)