EDRLab is a network of professional organizations working in the domain of digital publishing. These organizations are publishers, ebook and audiobook distributors, booksellers, public and national libraries, or developers of reading applications or e-readers. Below are the reasons for such organizations to become membre of EDRLab.
The value returned by open-source and standards organizations is many multiples of a yearly membership cost, even for the most modest organization. Even being able to publish at scale regardless of the organizational size is riding on the community’s coat-tails. Presume if every publisher had its own distribution format, every bookstore had its own distribution channel, each with their own identifier and distribution methodology, you needed to produce a serape metadata file and develop reading software engines for every search site or library. Now consider the staff time that is saved because of things like EPUB, OPDS, ONIX, ISBN and the open-source Readium toolkits.
Why should I become a member?
EDRLab is much more than a development laboratory: it is a community of practice for the publishing industry, in Europe and around the world. By becoming member of EDRLab you will:
- Participate to the evolution of a real open ebook ecosystem (take it as a protection against the monopoly of proprietary platforms),
- Participate to the development of open-source software via the Readium project,
- Participate to the development of user-friendly Readium LCP DRM, especially useful for e-lending,
- Participate to the evolution of EPUB. Via EDRLab’s W3C membership:
- you’ll get feedback on what the W3C Publishing WG is working on,
- you’ll be able to present your ideas to the W3C Publishing WG,
- Participate to enhancements on ebook accessibility,
- Participate to EDRLab Working Groups (BDComicsManga, LCP evolutions …) and informative webinars,
- Provide strategic direction, new perspectives and your specific use cases by:
- giving advice on prospective open source projects and other undertakings of EDRLab that may be submitted to the membership for approval,
- participating to EDRLab Board of Director elections,
- running and serve on the EDRLab Board of Directors,
- Network, create business partnerships with other industry members, develop expert resource contracts,
- Attend the Digital Publishing Summit at discounted member rates.
How to Join
To become a member of EDRLab, the only requirement is to have an activity in relationship with the object of the Association.
Standard member dues are calculated from their annual gross revenue and size. The current due structure is as follows:
|Characteristics of the organization||Member dues (tax excl.)|
|Non-profit organization with budget lower than 2 M€||500 €|
|Company with revenue lower than 2 M€ and less than 20 employees||500 €|
|Non-profit organization with budget larger than 2 M€; Major academic partner member||1000 €|
|Company with revenue between 2 and 10 M€ and less than 50 employees||1000 €|
|Company with revenue between 10 and 50 M€ and less than 250 employees||1800 €|
|Company with revenue larger than 50 M€ or more than 250 employees||3000 €|
|Membership organization with less than 50 members||4000 €|
|Membership organization with more than 50 members||7000 €|
|Major industrial partner member||20000 €|
EDRLab members can pay their due online via a Credit Card (we are using Stripe).
Please, fill this form if you are a representative of a professional organization willing to become member of EDRLab.
DO NOT fill this form if you are a person willing to read ebooks. We are NOT the proper contact in this case.