Goals of Readium Desktop
Readium Desktop is the reference EPUB 3 open-source toolkit for reading applications running on Windows 10, MacOS and Linux and mobile apps.
Readium Desktop is a set of open-source chrome-less modules developed using Electron.js, node.js and Typescript and which follows the Readium Architecture.
The project is led by EDRLab. This development has been possible thanks to the financial involvement of the EDRLab founding members. Please help us pursue this development, fund EDRLab.
The toolkit now support the following:
- Process EPUB files.
- Process LCP protected publications.
- Give access to the different items of a publication.
- Modify user settings, incl. luminosity, font selection & size, letter/word/line spacing, hyphenation, sepia and night mode, number of columns.
- Navigate through OPDS catalogs (OPDS 1 and 2).
- Authenticate on an OPDS catalog (with a limited scope for now).
- Manage bookmarks.
- Manage page lists embedded in EPUB.
- Manage position lists.
- Store the current reading position in the publication.
- Full-text search inside a publication.
- Support for Media Overlays.
- TTS read aloud.
- Support for W3C Audiobooks.
- Support for Audiobooks protected by LCP.
- Support for PDF documents protected by LCP.
As of October 2020, the planned evolutions are:
- LCP enhancements.
- Support for OPDS facet management and advanced library lending features like hold
- Full support of Authentication for OPDS
- Adoption of a new database solution
- Selections and Annotations