Thorium Reader is the free desktop EPUB reader published by EDRLab. It can be installed on Windows, MacOS and Linux and it is the perfect all-in-one reading application for casual or heavy readers, library patrons and students. Users are not bothered with ads, privacy is perfect and its codebase is open-source.
This new version includes new features, improvements and bug fixes, notably the following accessibility features:
- Full DAISY 2.02 support !!
- “where am I?”: a blind user can get detailed headings trails indicating where he is in a textual publication.
- Better keyboard focus management with screen readers.
- Screen reader notifications when adding or removing bookmarks.
- Better handling of MathML synthetic speech, both with and without screen reader.
This version also includes a series of enhancements applied to the user interface and a better handling of OPDS catalogs. EPUB popup footnotes can now be expressed as external documents.
The full list of enhancements is available here.
Here are download links for the different platforms. If you are using Windows 10, you can download Thorium Reader from the Windows Store and benefit from automatic updates.
EDRLab is looking for sponsors for the development of Thorium Reader; you can easily help via Github Sponsors or by becoming an EDRLab member. Let’s make this application the best desktop reading app ever!